Whether you’re in the market for a full-sized or micro-carry gun, Kimber has you covered. The latest from the well-known gun maker include the RAPIDE (Dawn) and RAPIDE (Scorpius) Custom 1911s, the R7 Mako, and the Micro 9 Raptor Shadow. This gives gun owners and those in search of the ideal concealed carry gun quite a few options in addition to the company’s existing line.
Kimber R7 Mako
The Kimber R7 Mako, which the manufacturer states changed “the face of the concealed carry market” is being offered in a model for restricted states. The Mako ships with a high-capacity, flush-fit standard magazine, and a higher-capacity extended magazine. It is available as either optics ready or with the red dot sight already installed, options which affect the price. This is a micro-compact, semi-automatic, striker-fired pistol with a polymer frame. It has forward and rear angled slide serrations, a textured grip, and a smooth, consistent trigger pull. The Kimber R7 Mako was specifically designed for reliable performance and concealability.
Features of the R7 Mako include:
- Optics-Ready Slide
- Performance Carry Trigger
- FNC Hard-Coated Barrel
- Deep-Cut Muzzle Crown
- Near Full-Wrap Grip Texturing
- Undercut Trigger Guard
- Ambidextrous Controls
- MSRP starts at $599.00
Kimber Rapide Dawn
For fans of larger calibers, the Kimber RAPIDE Dawn and RAPIDE Scorpius are available chambered in 45 ACP and 10mm in addition to the original 9mm. The RAPIDE line is made up of full-sized 1911s and is designed for durability and smooth performance in every caliber.
Specifications for Kimber RAPIDE Dawn:
- Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
- Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 40
- Length (inches): 8.7
- Magazine capacity: 9
- Recoil spring (pounds): 12.0Mil-Spec guide rod
- Frame material: Stainless Steel
- Frame finish: Silver, KimPro II w/brush polished flats
- Frame width (inches): 1.28
- Slide material: Stainless steel
- Slide finish: Silver, KimPro II w/brush polished flats
- Slide serrations: Front serrations
- Barrel length (inches): 5.0
- Barrel material: Stainless steel, match-grade w/ Gold TiN FInish
- Other barrel features: Match grade bushing
- Twist rate: 1 in 16, LH
- Sights: Tru-Glo TFX Pro Day Night w/Orange ring front
- Grips: Gray/black RAPIDE G10 grips
- Trigger: V-Cut aluminum
- Trigger pull weight: 4.0 to 5.0 pounds, factory
- MSRP for the RAPIDE line starts at $1713.00
Kimber Rapide Scorpius
Kimber released the following statement regarding the Micro 9 Raptor Shadow:
The Micro 9 Raptor Shadow is released as an exclusive offering in celebration of the return to the NRA annual meetings. Our limited edition is available from May 1st thru August 31st. The Micro 9 Raptor Shadow features our Black KimPro II finish on a stainless-steel slide and aluminum frame. Combined with black micarta grips, the new Raptor is built to the same dimensions as the Micro 9 Raptor (Stainless) and features the new Micro 9 Tac-Mag with 7+1 capacity. The stainless-steel, match-grade barrel sports a durable DLC finish, and Meprolight night sights deliver quick acquisition on target, with superior visibility. MSRP is $1,018, which is the same price as the stainless model and shipments will begin in May.
Do you prefer micro or full-sized handguns for defensive use? Tell us about your experience in the comments.