Whether or not a specific optic can handle the recoil of larger-caliber guns is a question that comes up often. If you’re a fan of red dots, but you’ve been worried about the potential for the recoil of your firearm to damage the dot, you’re in luck. The Crimson Trace HRO (Heavy Recoil Optic) is specifically made for serious use on larger-caliber guns. It’s made to handle greater recoil, and then some, so you can have your big caliber gun and a red dot, too.
Crimson Trace provides details of their optic:
The HRO (Heavy Recoil Optic) is the next generation of quick acquisition tactical reflex sights. Packed with best-in-class features like CT Motion “shake-to-wake” sensor and integrated Pic Rail mount, the HRO looks good and performs even better.
According to the manufacturer, this red dot has a 50,000-hour battery life. That’s probably due in part to the fact that the optic relies on the company’s motion sensor technology and has an automatic shutoff as well. The HRO is designed to mount to Picatinny rails by way of an integral rail mount.
The use of a red dot can increase target acquisition speed and provide the user with a broader field of view. The clarity of Crimson Trace glass is historically clear and of good quality. Red dots are great for everything from tactical use to defensive use to hunting applications. It’s well worth installing one and taking the time to learn to run it effectively.
Crimson Trace HRO Features
- Instant acquisition window with large field of view
- Innovative top strap design in place to deflect the force of impact if the sight is dropped
- 2 MOA red dot
- 12 brightness settings
- Fully multi-coated lens
- Recessed window to protect glass
- Side access battery for easier access
- 6061 series aerospace aluminum construction
- Full co-witness height for use with flip-up or other backup sights
- Integrated universal Picatinny rail mount
- Battery life of 50,000 hours
- Manual on/off (manually turn the optic off or on by using the brightness adjustment buttons on the side of the optic)
- Auto shutoff (will automatically turn off after eight consecutive hours of operation to conserve battery life)
- Crimson Trace motion sensor (designed to detect movement of the firearm and automatically turn the sight on)
Are you a fan of red dot optics? What do you think of this one? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
MSRP for the Crimson Trace HRO is set at $479.99.
- Manufacturer: Crimson Trace
- Model: HRO (Heavy Recoil Option)
- Mount: Picatinny
- Reticle: 2 MOA red dot
- Battery Life: 50,000 hours
- Construction: Aerospace Aluminum
- Crimson Trace Motion Sensor: Yes
- Waterproof: IPX7
- Weight: 8.5 ounces, with battery